Wednesday, June 6, 2007

June 4th: Central Valley, NY to Port Jervis, NY

Day three presented a bit of inclement weather. It was our first encounter with rain, and I wouldn’t exactly call that aspect of the ride enjoyable, considering that it was also freezing. Or so it seemed. I also continued the curse of the HBC birthday person by getting a flat. Let me just add that this was my first flat. Ever. The ride got better with a mid-ride stop for lunch and amazing hot chocolate. After the cessation of the rain and some minor up hill climbs, we had an awesome four mile downhill into Port Jervis, NY. After reclaiming our jerseys from South (p.s. we’re so much cooler than you, south), we ate dinner made by a wonderful lady at the church we were staying at. We tried to go bowling at the local lanes, but apparently, pulling the Habitat card doesn’t tempt everyone to keep their businesses open after closing hours. An unnamed individual subsequently had his clothes stolen, and then we finally headed to bed to ready ourselves for our first long ride. And so, the trek continues…

Oh yeah, and if anyone is wondering, despite the fact that Brian dressed like Johnny Cash on a bike today, he’s still alive. Go team.

-Liz Ferro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
About the road to happiness through love and charity,
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
And things need changin' everywhere you go,
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black.

Lyrics > J > Johnny Cash Lyrics > Man in black Song Lyrics

Anonymous said...

We are all very proud of you Brian. The old lady is traicing your route every day on her map.