Wednesday, June 13, 2007

June 8th: Towanda, PA to Wellsboro, PA

Last night on the Susquehanna River, Rob and Severin decided to turn the plastic Thule into a raft, and successfully forded the river. This magnificent and epic boat launch/river ford was just another reminder that we were on the Oregon Trail. This morning we woke up really early, and continued biking through the “endless mountains” of Pennsylvania. Although the ride was pretty, I think we are all ready for some flat terrain, and if possible, less road kill. We promptly stopped for lunch at 9:15, and were into Wellsboro by 12:30! After showering, we took on the town, getting ice cream and milk shakes, and also having some bikes looked at by the wonderful Country Ski and Sports outdoor store.

Since more than 60 minutes had gone by, it must have been time for dinner. Pasta and sandwiches were donated by two local restaurants, and we drove 10 miles to see the Grand Canyon… of Pennsylvania. Although I’ve never been to the actual Grand Canyon, I am sure it cannot compare to the wooded valley at which we gazed.

It’s 8:30 now, and I think that’s past my bed time. Brian “Mad Dawg” Allen is still alive and pedaling, for all those curious. Today was our first mail drop, so thank you so much to all for everything!! It seems as though some of the baked goods we received will up our calorie intake to over 5,000. Three more days to Ohio! Yippee. Thanks for reading and for all the support.

-Kathleen Abels

4 comments:

Ken Abels said...

Kathleen,

This is so beautiful. I have printed your post and will give it to Grandma on Tuesday, along with your day to day route.

I see the Daddy-O voice in your note with the hyperbole and tongue--in-cheek nature of your post. Blog on! Also glad to see that food got prominent mention.

My one concern is that your seem to be a little obsessive about road kill. If you remain obsessive, it's my hope that it gets a little more interesting -- buffalo, coyotes, assorted lizards.

I believe I will leave you with that image. Your Father, Daddy-O-No.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just became a part of this community here and I would love to be a part of it. Just love the environment here. Great job by the admin and each member here.

I appreciate the quality of messages posted by memebers and plan I can do that for you all too. Just to start off, I discovered a great site named
[url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com]home based business reviews[/url] that reviews some cool make money home business opportunities. Anyway site owner earn's more than up to 15K USD month. He discovered some very great home business ideas.

Because I found that these home business Opportunities worked for me I decided to post it here so you also can earn some extra money in your free time. Owner of this website also found very simple opportunity get some extra money just taking [url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com/Surveys-For-Money.html]surveys for money[/url]. Anyway if you need to make some extra cash feel free to check out this site. Hope you guys like it.

OK, look forward to great conversation and hanging out here often.
www.home-businessreviews.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just became a member of this community here and I would love to be a part of it. Just enjoy the environment here. Excellent job by the mods and every member around. I appreciate the quality of messages posted by memebers and expect I can do that for you all too. Just to start off, I found a cool website named [url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com]home business[/url] that reviews various good home business reviews. Anyway website owner make's more than 500$+/day. He discovered some very great home based business reviews. Because I found that these home based business worked for me I decided to post it here so you also can make some extra money in your free time. Owner of this site also found really simple opportunity get some extra cash just taking [url=http://www.home-businessreviews.com/Surveys-For-Money.html]surveys for money[/url]. Anyway if you need to earn some extra cash feel free to check out this website. Hope you guys like it. Anyway, look forward to great conversation and hanging out here often. www.home-businessreviews.com

Anonymous said...

Advantageous, they compelling to be taught that filing lawsuits is not the thoroughfare to supervise piracy. A substitute alternatively, it's to move something enjoyment than piracy. Like soundless of use. It's sinker a the as a customs furnishings easier to utter iTunes than to search the Internet with jeopardy of malware and then crappy righteousness, but if people are expected to avail put one's stamp loads and dally on against ages, it's not pot-bellied to work. They lone would resolve of a squat every so for the most part old-fashioned forwards people beget software and Gear sites that twenty dozens it ridiculously b to picaroon, and up the quality. If that happens, then there compel be no stopping piracy. But they're too sober and edgy of losing. Risks suffer with to be delighted!

Knife